Such a fun way to spend a Friday evening and I learned a few things too…
About a week and a half ago I attended a Tata Harper Masterclass at the Four Seasons in Georgetown. It was a gorgeous night, so the class was held outside on the terrace and each table was set up with flowers, personal towels, cotton rounds, mirrors, and headbands. If you follow me over on Instagram, you may have seen some snapshots on my Stories already. However, I wanted to do a little summary of the event as it was a lovely way to spend a couple hours and gain a more in depth understanding of a line that I was already a huge fan of. I appreciate how Tata ran the Masterclass herself and we were able to meet and chat with her individually afterwards. It really made the brand feel more personal – I could tell right away how invested she is and how much she stands behind the efficacy of her products. Read on below for some more takeaways from the event as well as a few of the Tata Harper products that I currently have in rotation. (Most of these photos were taken on my iPhone, but I wanted to capture as much as I could!)
Tata kicked off the class by introducing herself and providing a little backstory on the line. She actually did not start out with a background in the beauty industry, but rather had a degree in engineering. Growing up in Colombia and as part of the Latin culture, her family always embraced beauty and skincare. They never thought of it as a luxury or frivolous, but rather a necessary part of self care. However, it was not until one of her family members was diagnosed with cancer that she began to research the chemicals within modern skincare and beauty products. As you can imagine what she found was not pretty, yet she could not find any natural alternatives that were effective and had the technology to translate to results. Thus, she decided to craft these organic products herself and today all of her skincare is produced on her farm in Vermont where she lives with her family. They grow many of the ingredients for their products right on their property and manage the manufacturing process from start to finish. She truly is a pioneer in the eco beauty/skincare industry, creating one of the first lines that is full of natural, non-toxic ingredients, while also setting a very high standard for efficacy and luxury.
- The first thing that I noticed about Tata – her skin is ethereally glowing. I’m not kidding, it looks like she is lit from within. She explained that she hardly wears any makeup and that is attributed to years of caring for her skin every single day. (Aka not going to bed with makeup on, masking regularly etc). I love this entire philosophy – take care of your skin, invest in it, and you don’t have to spend a fortune on makeup to cover it up.
- All of her products work together synergistically. This was the biggest surprise for me as typically I thought you could only cleanse, tone, serum, moisturize. However, during the Masterclass we put basically the entire line on our faces – I’m talking multiple cleansers, masks, serums, three different eye creams, many moisturizers, the list goes on an on. At first I was hesitant, thinking that surely all of this product would make my sensitive skin freak out, but on the contrary my skin has never looked so glowy. And it was not just me, everyone in the class left looking like they had just stepped out of a facial. In this case it really seems that more truly is better.
- Your skin should never feel tight after cleansing. If you are using a cleanser that is too harsh or drying – your skin will react and not in a good way. This can lead to breakouts as the skin tries to make up for the loss of moisture by producing excess oil. Tata’s line is famous for their cleansers and masks and for good reason – she makes some of the best in the industry (organic or not). These will never make your skin parched, but rather will gently clean and exfoliate. Read on below for my top picks.
In Current Rotation
- Nourishing Oil Cleanser – This is always the first step in my skincare routine. It removes makeup like a dream and gets off that first layer of grit and grime from the day without stripping the skin.
- Purifying Cleanser – I used this a couple years ago and don’t know why I ever strayed. Tata’s class reintroduced me to this heavenly cleanser that is perfect for oily/acne prone skin. It feels cooling and refreshing on the face and I use it morning and night as a second cleanse.
- Restorative Eye Creme – I love both of Tata’s eye creams, this one and the illuminating as evidenced here. Currently I am using the restorative and think that it is perfectly hydrating without ever feeling heavy or sticky.
- Resurfacing Mask – I’ve already waxed poetic about this one here. There really is not much more to say – it is truly the best for a natural exfoliation leading to instant glowiness. I need to repurchase the full size ASAP.
- Aromatic Irritability Treatment – One of the best scents I have ever encountered. Rub some into your pulse points and breathe deeply, it honestly calms me down. Also, a must for the metro, bus, planes as it eliminates any less than pleasant aromas that you maybe don’t want to be inhaling for hours on end.
- Volumizing Lip and Cheek Tint (Very Charming) – Tata also makes select makeup products that are meant to really enhance the skin rather than cover up. I love the petal pink tint of this, which adds a subtle healthy glow and is super easy to slap on while on the go.
- Be Smitten Lip Treatment – a really pretty lip balm that gives some real color pay off as well as hydration. Once again the beauty of this is that you do not have to be precious with the application. I like to put some on my finger and then just lightly tap and blend into my lips for a natural “popsicle stained” look.
- Very Bronzing – A great alternative to traditional bronzer and a simple way to add some light definition to your face without going overboard. I just swipe some right below my cheekbones and along my jawline and then blend with a brush. It seeps in right away, never leaving any harsh/obvious lines.
As a final side note – all of Tata Harper’s products smell absolutely divine, slightly floral, but not in an overpowering way. I absolutely love the scent and appreciate how they take into account aromatherapy to make application of the line a memorable experience. I will stop rambling now, but let me know in the comments below if you’ve tried any Tata Harper products and what your thoughts are or if you have any questions.
P.S. You can check this page regularly to see if she will be hosting a masterclass in your area. I had such a great experience and would absolutely recommend going if you can!