Fangirling over the ultimate queen of natural beauty and skincare.
I first became aware of the beauty editor, Jean Godfrey-June, after reading her beauty uniform on Cup of Jo about a year or so ago. Ever since then I have become completely intrigued, soaking up nearly every article that she pens. Gaining fame over the past 20 years as the Beauty Director at major publications such as Vogue, Elle, and Lucky, she has transitioned her career to online media as the beauty editor at Goop. A self-described hippie from Palo Alto, California, with little care for beauty or makeup in her formative years, she always knew that she wanted to work in editorial. Overall, I find her story to be extremely compelling, relatable, and chock-full of sage advice relevant for individuals in all sorts of career paths. Today’s post is serving as somewhat of an ode to Jean (or JGJ), including all of my favorite articles that she has written as well as some fascinating interviews. Each time I come across something new, I walk away feeling inspired.
- First and foremost – say what you will about Goop and Gwyneth, but in my opinion the “Ask Jean” section of the site is holy grail. All of the products that she recommends are natural alternatives for conventional brands. Each bit and bob that she has suggested, and I have tried, has done just what she says it will. Her advice is also realistic as she answers the questions of busy women and focuses on that minimal makeup look that we all aim to achieve as we are rushing out the door. Here and here are great places to start. (Be forewarned, you may just want to buy everything!)
- I promise this is my last time mentioning the Fat Mascara podcast for awhile – but seriously stop what you are doing and listen to episode 69 – “Pat, don’t rub,” featuring Jean.
- The Coveteur has interviewed JGJ a couple of times. Um – her home on the Hudson River, is absolutely breathtaking.
- Back in her days as the Beauty Director at Lucky, she doled out some pretty solid career advice on Into the Gloss.
- Add her book to your must read list – Free Gift With Purchase: My Improbable Career in Magazines and Makeup.
- A couple other fun articles to catch up on – plus an easily vegan recipe!
- And of course, follow her over on Instagram if you are eager for more daily tidbits. I appreciate that her account is not super edited – just simple every day snippets that she is enjoying.
I love that JGJ comes across in interviews as well as her own writing as extremely honest and down-to-earth – a refreshing antithesis to an age of over-the-top everything and intense “Instagram makeup.” My fangirling moment is almost over, but I have to say that I adored putting this post together. It is fun and super fulfilling when you find someone – be it a celebrity, writer, acquaintance etc. that serves as a constant source of inspiration for your daily life. I think my favorite piece of advice that she has highlighted on multiple occasions is that if you want a certain career, just starting working towards it. She provides the example of writing actual articles rather than proposals when she was trying to get into the editorial world and I think this is extremely applicable for any line of work, journalism or not. Simply start doing what you are passionate about first – that way others can grasp of what you are capable of accomplishing once in role.
Have the best day!
Top image via