Where to shop small this holiday season.
I know what you might be thinking – another day, another blog, another gift guide. And honestly, I kind of agree. It seems that right now we are inundated with the message to buy, buy, buy everywhere we turn. It can all start to feel like too much pressure and a bit overwhelming – not knowing where to start. That is why this past weekend when I saw this video from UK based blogger, Liv Purvis, go live I was immediately inspired. (If you haven’t watched her video yet, I would highly recommend it for some fantastic gift ideas). Either way, I thought that Liv’s round up served as the perfect reminder that while this season is heavy with buying gifts and shopping we can take a step back and look for those special pieces outside of the big box retailers. It is always a good idea to support your community, local businesses, or even up and coming artisans. Additionally, the types of goods that you are likely to find from these smaller retailers are typically much more unique and items that you and/or the recipient will cherish due to the fact that it is not an article that everyone else already has. Furthermore, it conveys extra time, thought, and effort – something that we all value at a premium this time of year when it is easy to just add another sweater to cart. Have a browse of some of my picks below even if you don’t live in DC, as I aimed to curate a selection that will inspire you to seek out similar pieces in your own hometowns. Instagram is also a terrific outlet to find a community of artists and designers nearby. Simply find one individual whose work you love and then check out who they interact with, this way you can find a plethora of like-minded people in the community. (It sounds a little creepy, but really that is what Instagram is there for and these artists want to be discovered)!
- For stunning leather goods that are made here in DC – I love the looks of this backpack and this scalloped clutch.
- A fantastic, curated selection of independent brands and even some beautiful vintage finds. The studio is based just outside of DC, but they ship nationwide.
- This one is not local to DC, in fact they are San Francisco based, but I am obsessed with their line and the amount of smaller label designers that they carry. This, this, and these would make any recipient’s day.
- Of course, if you are looking for a skincare enthusiast you cannot go wrong with a vial of this or this as the prettiest add on.
- This Virginia based artist’s paintings always take my breath away and I am sure that they would thrill anyone who just moved or is looking to spruce up their place. She also makes some really fun prints at a lower price point.
- Tappan is another great outlet for discovering and supporting up and coming artists. In fact, that is where I found the framed photograph that I gifted to Andrew for his 3oth birthday last year.
- Mallory designs and creates some of the prettiest and dainty jewelry pieces right here in DC. I love these huggies for a delicate, every day option.
- This Georgetown store is the best for chic fashion finds and investment pieces. They stock limited quantities of some hard to find designers like Ganni and I love Mr. Mittens.
- Not local to DC, but I think that her prints are so pretty and uplifting. You could also commission Lauren for a custom, one-of-a-kind piece.
- I’ll end with a gift card to my favorite local taco joint. (Trust me, their veggie tacos and corn tortillas are out of this world)! Plus, they are a women led business that started right at our local farmer’s market. I’m sure that your town will also have some local food geniuses. This one is perfect for that hard to buy for co-worker and certainly a step above another Starbucks gift card. 🙂
I hope you enjoyed this little round up of gift ideas and please let me know about any local businesses or designers that you love in the comments below!