A yummy way to beat that 4pm I need a nap feeling…
Hi! Just popping in today with a quick recipe for one of my all time favorite snacks – energy balls! I’m sure by now you’ve probably seen a million and one different versions of energy bites/balls all over the internet, Instagram, blogs etc. But for what it’s worth, this is my rendition and I have to say one of the tastiest combinations that I have tried. Read on below for the full recipe and details.
These taste like dessert so they will definitely satisfy any post lunch or dinner cravings but are also magically refined sugar free (relying entirely on dates and maple syrup for sweetness) – so you won’t experience that same crash that occurs right after indulging in some of your coworker’s candy jar. I find that these are the perfect pick me up as I am certainly not an afternoon person and find myself yawning while dreaming of a nap and staring at my computer screen around 3pm. They are also great post workout or as a quick before bed snack.
These bites take only a few minutes to whip up and will last covered in the fridge for a week or in the freezer for up to a month so feel free to make a double or triple batch. I like to prepare these on a Sunday and then know that I have healthy snacks/desserts on hand all week. As with many of my recipes (see here and here) these are easily adaptable to your personal tastes and preferences. I add in ginger and cinnamon because I personally love a bit of spice, but you can certainly leave these out or opt to include different spices (nutmeg, cardamom, or even a little turmeric for an anti-inflammatory boost would be delicious). I used cashews and cashew butter because I think that they provide a nice neutral base for the rest of the flavors but definitely try subbing in your favorite nuts as well i.e. almond butter, walnuts, even sunflower seed butter would be nice for a slightly different flavor profile. Once again the options are truly endless. I hope you love these and let me know in the comments below if you have any favorite combinations!
- 1 cup cashews
- ½ cup gf rolled oats
- ½ cup Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 Tbs pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbs cashew butter*
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbs cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbs vegan chocolate chips**
- Combine the cashews and oats in a food processor and process until a fine flour forms (about 30 seconds).
- Add the dates and process again until they are finely chopped.
- Add the maple syrup, cashew butter, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, and sea salt. Process until combined and the dough sticks together when you press it.
- Pulse in the chocolate chips.
- Remove the blade from the food processor and using your hands, roll a tablespoon of dough into a ball. Place the ball on a parchment paper lined plate and continue until you have rolled it all.
- Chill the energy bites in the freezer for 30 minutes to help them firm up.
**This would also be great with mini chocolate chips, raisins, or dried cranberries.
Recipe adapted from Oh She Glows Everyday Cookie Dough Balls.
P.S. The winner of last week’s Lili Aromatherapy giveaway is Laura!